Summer Pasta Salad
Spring and summer are on their way and the get-togethers commence.It seems like from memorial day all the way through labor day there are plans to get together with friends and family almost every weekend. While this is SO enjoyable and I would not give it up for anything, the unhealthy foods and calories can quickly add up.
Burgers, fries, drinks, chips, and more are staring you in the face wanting you to eat them. While everything is okay in moderation, it’s probably not the best idea to shove these foods in your mouth weekend after weekend. The easiest way to find balance here? Always offer to bring a dish. Show up with something awesome and healthy that not only you can eat, but other people will be thankful for too. I promise!
Enter this pasta salad. Most pasta salads are covered in mayonaisse and some other iffy ingredients that most of us probably cannot pronounce. This salad is not only whole grain and packed with veggies, but SO flavorful and so damn good.
Bring this to your next get together and your friends will thank you.
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb. whole wheat or rice rotallini, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 cups broccoli (about 2 bunches), roughly cut into small florets
- 1/2 a red onion, sliced
- 8 ounces of mozzarella pearls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pesto (jarred or homemade)
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Roast asparagus pieces for 20 minutes, or until soft
- Mix all salad ingredients together in a large bowl
- Blend all dressing ingredients in a blender
- Pour and toss into salad
- Can be served warm or cold*
- Leave cheese out for vegan
- Mozzarella pearls can be purchased in an 8 ounce container